8/22/2008

Tests and Pop Quizes

Tests. Just to type the word makes me a little uncomfortable. We've all taken tests in our lives. Now in homeschooling I've given a lot of tests to my children. I've taught my children how to study and prepare for tests. Pop Quiz-- is a word that I dreaded to hear even more. You don't have time to prepare for a Pop Quiz. You are expected to rely on the knowledge you recently learned and apply it. Pop Quizes reveal how well you did your homework--assuming you did it!

I still take Pop Quizes. They are Pop Quizes about Life. Today I had a major Pop Quiz. I was unable to study, prepare myself or even warn myself for it. I'm sure that you too have had a Pop Quiz this week.

We have been learning about Controling Anger here at Nueva Vida. We have studied the lives of both positive and negative examples that are in God's Word. Just last week Sam taught on the Life of Joseph from the Old Testament. Boy did he have a lot of "Pop Quizes" in his life. There was the, "Thrown into the Pit and Sold as a Slave"--pop quiz; and the "Thrown Into Jail"-- pop quiz; and the "I Forgot to Mention--Stayed in Jail Longer"--pop quiz. My Pop Quiz is titled; "Got Ripped Off at the ATM AGAIN". Yes, this is the second time that we've tried to get money from an ATM and didn't. (we use ATMs all the time here) No biggy except, the money was pulled from our account but our pockets are still empty. I was given the opportunity to show if I truly believe that God is in control. I calmly talked to the administration at the bank where I received my "Pop Quiz". I didn't get much help at the bank because I don't have an account there. Our State side bank will put the funds back temporarily until they do their investigation. The first time it happened they didn't rule in our favor and they pulled the funds back out. So, I'm preparing myself to lose (I mean give away!) $500.00. But you know what...I'm okay with this. It's really not my money, it's God's. I can say that it is possible to not get angry, bent out of shape, or even take out my anger on someone else--when my heart is focused on the premise that God is in Control! I worked very hard on my thoughts the whole way home while I was driving. I knew that if I wasn't careful I would take it all out on my precious girls at home. I know that if I don't keep my focus right I will quickly get a failing grade. Since this happened this afternoon I've had to constantly remind myself that God allowed this and He knew before it happened that it would happen. This hasn't taken Him by surprise! There's the Joy!!

No comments: