10/26/2010

Sam's 50th Birthday Celebration



On Sunday October 17th we had a very special surprise birthday celebration after church for Sam's 50th birthday!!  It was so fun to plan and actually pull off the surprise.  Sam got purposely detained at the bottom of our property for 13 minutes while the rest of the church did a mad scramble to decorate the church.  Here in Mexico they don't humiliate folks on their birthdays so they had to be educated on what we do in the States when someone turns 50.  The church dressed in black and wore sunglasses and were seated at tables when Sam was led into the room.  Victor did a wonderful job of starting out the "memorial service" in Sam's honor. Francisco, a man in our church who works in design, made a wonderful video presentation.  I did supply the pictures but this is about all I did.  The church, under the direction of Alberto, organized a wonderful, fun time of honoring Sam's faithfulness to God.  One other big surprise was the arrival of all the Hornbrooks that are here in Mexico were able to attend the special day!!



The mad scramble to get things decorated!

Victor getting ready to lead the "memorial service"!

Sam finally putting it all together!!

Hornbrook girls in "mourning".

Enjoying the video of Sam's life!


Sam's parents, Sam and Ellen were able to join us!

Jim and his family also were with us!

Sam enjoying a video message from our son, Nathaniel!

The Hornbrook Clan enjoying enchiladas!!

The teen table enjoying themselves!

Getting ready to enjoy our buffet of desserts!!

Even the puppy got in on the fun!

All of us Hornbrooks!















5 comments:

Joe Fleener said...

Wow! In the early photos, I thought I was watching clips from "The Partridge Family!" :-) And Barry Manilow!? I'm very impressed.

Seriously, what a wonderful video full of great memories for all of you. I can hardly believe the years that have flown by. Happy Birthday Sam!

mwrausch said...

Happy Birthday Sam! Wow, what a difference some hair makes. :-)
Marney

Bob & Terri Metze said...

That's awesome. We all loved the video! I wish that I could have watched Sam that day :-) Thanks for sharing! Bob & Terri

iDZignit said...

50! where does time go?
Sam you share the same birthday as my daughter.
Carey Hendsbee here, we played soccer together, well...you played I practiced at GRBC.
I was just talking with my father and your family name came up and I thought I would do a quick search, anyway, here I am.

iDZignit said...

Also, sorry to hear of your mother passing.